Fund Your Utopia Without Me.™

24 December 2014

I JUST HAD THE MOST RAAAAACIST, SEXIST, AND RESIDUAL IMPERIALISTIC EXPERIENCE AT THE MARKET!!!




First, a tall, black man retrieved an item off the top shelf for me WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME IF I NEEDED HELP!!! 

I said 'Thank you' and he said 'Merry Christmas' - a salutation that I returned, but how dare he exert his height advantage, black supremacy and male privilege!!!

These micro-aggressions and overt racist, misogynistic actions are making my head hurt!

Then, a nice, young black woman was on the phone when her toddler threw an item out of the basket.  Since I was walking by, I picked it up and put it back in the basket for her WITHOUT ASKING HER PERMISSION!

She said 'Thank you' and I said 'Merry Christmas' - a salutation which she returned, but how dare I exert my hands-free, parental slavelessness, and white privilege!!!

I feel so awful that I think I will go engage in some self-flagellation followed by a good hour or three soaking in a tub of black dye!

///

I actually did just return from the market and these two events really did happen, but instead of being some kind of indictment on society, it was a charming, wonderful, and inclusive experience.  It made me feel good.  I guess that is what happens when you choose  to see the best in others rather than looking for imaginary slights.




Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!






http://tinyurl.com/petmh6l




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SoRo/RWM...Merry Christmas...Thanks for all the great work on the site...that is all...

James Butler said...

*big smile*
Merry Christmas Mo...
Thanks God, You never change...
On this wonderful season it is nice to hear your wonderful personal story. :)

Pray all is well...